FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best use of ~40k United points?
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:10 am
greggarious
Suspended

Originally Posted by zymm
There's no reason to spend these miles right away, but if you're committed to that, you can do a round trip saver award to Central America for under 40k miles (it's 17.5k each way) and that's a good vacation destination as well as being a better value than Vegas. If you book it for winter, it can be a nice escape from the cold!
Interesting point, I didn't think of that. I have been wanting to visit South America at some point. I'm actually inclined to save them for that, thanks.

Originally Posted by narvik
Haha, fair point!
I only even mentioned it because of this from OP: "...I'm pretty frugal..."
Is Spirit that bad if you plan ahead? I've flown Easyjet and IIRC I just had to pay in advance for what would be a carry on on other flights, but aside from that it wasn't any worse than a shorthaul for IND->ORD or something similar in the states.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
You'll find the best mileage (pardon the pun) on:
  1. Saver fares in either premium cabin (i.e. business or first class) on long international flights (i.e. to Europe or Asia)
  2. Saver fares on economy routes that have an expensive ticket price (i.e. booking the flight at the last minute or to a non-competive market)
  3. Upgrades to a higher cabin on long haul routes (i.e. Chicago to Honolulu or New York to Frankfurt)
First class domestic flights (with the exception of perhaps long haul first class domestic like Honolulu) are worthless to me. You're spending all this extra miles/money just to get a seat with a slightly better recline and a meal? No thank you!

Option 3 can be of particular since you'll only pay a proportionately small number of miles for the upgrade compared to how many miles you would have spent to book saver business ticket.

Safe Travels,

James
Yeah, I'm inclined to save them for South America or an upgrade when I go overseas now thanks.

Though I disagree on "national" flights: when you're on a flight to SFO/LAS from the east coast it can be as long enough you wish you had some legroom

At least I can have my tomato juice