FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:27 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by incaroads
Well, after reading through this thread, the conversation I had with a (not particularly helpful) Marriott rep today makes a little more sense. I called in to ask for my 7-night package to be extended, as it expires this June and I want to use it in August. It was a Cat 1-5 package, worth 270k points at the time I acquired it. The rep told me I now have two "partial packages," each worth 45k points, and indeed, that's what I see in my account. So 90k total, now valid for another year. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind my TP turning into two partial packages, but I see that's what others here are trying to determine. I'm also not clear on whether I could even use these certificates for a Cat 5 stay anymore if I wanted to.

I'll keep doing my homework, but might as well ask: what would y'all do? I was hoping to apply the TP toward a 7-night stay this August in what is now a Cat 8 property. Prior to the merger, I did the math on how many points I'd need to add to the TP in order to make this happen, and it seemed doable. But now it seems like I might need an inordinate number of additional points. I'm just confused at this point. Thoughts?
First of all, you cannot combine 2 certs. If you choose not to use it all you get back is 45K pts not going to help you much in booking a Cat 8 property.

To use the cert for a Cat 8 property, you need to add 30K for Each level you go up - so you would need 30+30+30 from 5 to 8, then you can use for a Cat 8 property 7 nights reservation.

The 45K indicator is just a Code to identify the Cert after the extension. The old cert is canceled and the new cert is issued but no longer as part of the original TP, (no more miles) so there needs to be a different code.

To give you an example - today I upgraded an extended Cat 5 to Cat 6 and redeemed it for a 7 nights stay at a Cat 6. The old 45K cert is canceled, pts refunded back, and then 45K and additional 30K are taken from the account. A Cat 6 cert is issued but I do not see how it looks like as it is already attached to the hotel reservation I made online last week.

The Cat 6 hotel reservation shows 30K a night the first 4 nights and then a FN, plus 2 more 30L night, but the Total Pts shown 75K - the 45K + 30K used for this reservation. Online it is not showing the activities unless you choose to display more than 3 months, then the in and out show up. The Reservation email sent after the cert is attached, shows 75K pts used and the balance of my account is correctly reflected on the confirmation email, but not online. Even the old Cat 5 cert still showed as Unused. I assume after tonight's refresh, everything would be updated.