FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question
Old May 31, 2018, 8:27 pm
aqwayne

Originally Posted by imran_d60
Hey.
Sorry i'm bit lost trying to figure out how to make a new post thread.
But thought this is similar.

Wanted to upgrade one sector of my flight form Y to J. There are two legs. When I check during booking it says flex ticket upgrade will cost 55,250 miles.
However, at the moment only one sector is available. And if i check if i upgrade the two separately its costing 35,100 one section and 39,000 other section so separately its costing 74,100. So now sure why it said it would cost 55,250? Unless both sectors have to available together?
And if i get the separately at different times can i get the refund of the difference?

Thanks.

Please move to right thread if there one.
I had the exact same question, and after talking to three representatives on the phone and one through web chat, I was promised that you will be refunded the initial miles spent and given the new rate once the second leg opens up, regardless of if the first leg is still available or not after you have redeemed the first leg. I was not sure if they would honor the pricing for booking both leg at once if you book individually, especially if the first leg becomes unavailable when the second availability opens up. (was that so hard to understand? I guess it was for three people, I spent almost an hour on the phone a day ago for this)

It does make me wonder however, since the ability to redeem the much cheaper rates ultimately hinges on your ability to get upgrade the seats for the second leg as soon as availability opens up, I do not want to take chances and park my points in my Skywards account to allow for auto-upgrade just in case, as it will save me a lot of points in the long run. I hope I won't run into any snags with the auto-upgrade and giving me back my points to honor the cheaper rate.