FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread
Old May 30, 2018, 7:54 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It's been a Japanese whisky kind of week.

For starters -- it was sad to see the Hibiki 17 era come to a close for a while. Thankfully still have 3 bottles left from various Tokyo trips to slowly drink down over the next couple of years but will still need to find a suitable (and likely much cheaper at current prices) replacement from some corner of the earth (perhaps time to explore Kavalan in more depth).

On a similar note, last night finished my last bottle of Taketsuru 17 which is another great Japanese whisky that seems to be going the way of the dodo. Snagged this bottle for a whopping $28 (~3000 JPY at the time) at the NRT duty free back in 2016 which is unreal thinking back. And tonight it's my last bottle of Hibiki 12 that's getting closed out (good but definitely not worth it at current secondary market prices).

The other interesting scotch I had recently was the Johnnie Walker Bourbon Rye Cask at the CDG duty free in April. It was quite good -- I figured I could get it somewhere back in the US but haven't found it anywhere so hopefully they'll still have a bottle when I pass through in a couple weeks.

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }

Last edited by Duke787; May 30, 2018 at 8:05 pm