FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives Recs for 2019 trip
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2018, 3:09 pm
kmd0506

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FTstudent
I'm planning a trip for August. Lucky to come across this thread.
Last weekend I barricaded myself in my office and plowed through the details on as many resorts as I could stand to look at. Same as the earlier poster, I’m arriving in the evening, so I gave preference to a speedboat transfer. I ended up picking O&O too, and booked a water villa with pool a few days ago. I will make sure I look at the other recommendations from everyone else.Here’s my shortlist. (not all of them are speedboat)
  1. One and Only Reethi Rah
  2. Huvafen Fushi
  3. Baros
  4. AYADA Maldives
  5. Milaidhoo Island
  6. Hurawalhi Island Resort
I might have gone with Huvafen, but I was disappointed with the size of the villa pools. BTW - I saw another reviewer very critical on the F&B prices at Huvafen. I am very curious about Baros. It looks like a good all-around option, maybe not as fancy.
We have visited Baros 3 times in the last 3 years and it is probably our favorite hotel in the world. We did 2 stays in an overwater bungalow with pool and 1 in their premium pool villa (to be honest we preferred the premium pool villa, mostly because we liked that there was a covered outdoor area that we were able to enjoy in the rain).
Other bonuses for us:
-It is a boat transfer from the airport- during our most recent visit there was a pretty bad storm that came through that delayed/cancelled sea plane flights for I think 2 days of our visits, so people couldn't get to their resorts and were stuck at the airport/Male.
-No kids under the age of 8 guarantees a more peaceful time
-Marine biologist on staff at their dive center and a house reef (albeit with unfortunately common bleaching), but we have seen turtles and sharks on every visit. Marine biologist led the night snorkeling "experience" which I loved, but my husband did not.

I actually think the staff is more attentive than some true "luxury" properties we have stayed at. I like the food, we generally ate a late breakfast, had a lighter lunch then did a bigger dinner, and there was a nice enough variety of food that we didn't get bored with the options. We did a nicer meal each trip, and I think the food is very good given the location. I have done 1 spa visit over our trips, I liked the massage/spa but much happier to be in the water snorkeling or diving while there. Happy to answer any other Baros specific questions you have.