FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wine bottles as checked luggage
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2018, 6:46 am
flyertalker54234
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaximeD
Hey guys,

I'm flying in J from LHR to GVA next month for a stag-do and I wanted to bring 4-5 bottles of wine that I really like and I want to share with my friends.
I googled a little bit to know if that's possible and how to pack it.
Most answers I found was based in the US and people are very divided.

I called up BA and the representative was not sure either.

So, I have a few questions based on your experience :
1/ Should I pack them in a separate luggage or keep it in the cardboard box it came with (it looks very sturdy and I can add bubble wrap) ?
2/ Will BA refund me the wine if the luggage is lost or broken ?
3/ Is there customs fees?

The total value of the wine is not more than £80, so in case it's lost or broken, I can live with it.

Thanks!
Really appreciate the help.
1) I would pack in your suitcase using clothing around them to lessen shock and stop them bumping each other. (Use a hard sided suitcase). You can buy inflated plastic bottle packs for wine and spirit bottles which work as well in checked bags as the post. Amazon sell them as do many UK wine and spirits sites and some good off licences.

2) Airlines will not refund for broken wine bottles as it would be classified as fragile times which they advise you not to pack. If you want it covered for damage then ship it UPS or Fedex and pay the large bill. If you pack them sensibly using bubble wrap or a bottle jacket as above, in a sturdy hard side suitcase, you should not have any issues.

3) Switzerland is in the Customs Union as currently is the UK so you should not have to pay any duty, there is however a CHF 300 limit before you pay VAT. So if it is 5 bottles of wine at inexpensive prices you are fine, if it is pricey vintage wine, you may owe VAT at 8% I believe.