Old May 29, 18, 5:27 am
kklems
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Platinum. United Silver. HHonors Diamond
What was going on with my Lyft driver? Bill padding?

I am not a ride share power user by any means but I had a question regarding a recent Lyft ride I took. I decided the other night to use LYFT instead of Uber as I had a promo for 50% off my rides through Lyft. I requested my Lyft which said it was two minutes out. Looking at the map he was just a couple of blocks away and in less than a minute it showed that he had arrived but the car was moving away from us. At that point a timer came up saying the ride would start in 5 minutes. It continued it count down and than the car moved away from us. Fast forward 5 minutes and the driver was still not there but coming closer. The timer said my ride had started but no driver (but he was coming back towards us) He arrived about a minute later. So I suspect he was driving an uber fare looking at his driving pattern (I was a couple blocks from a major university at bar closing time). My question is was I being charged for the 5 minute countdown and also the minute or so after the it ending? Probably not a lot of extra money esp with the 50% off coupon but more the principal. Also what should I do in the future? Cancel the ride? Just suck it up? I had no problem waiting for the ride, just don't want to be charged for time/miles I didn't take. edited to add my final bill is now up and it does indeed look I might have been charged for the time. Pick up shows 1:56 am and it was actually 2:01 or maybe 2:02. And the total fare lists 22m 17s as the trip time with the dropoff time 2:18 am.

Last edited by kklems; May 29, 18 at 5:35 am