FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}
Old May 28, 2018, 8:55 pm
Repooc17
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I imagine that would work but couldn't tell you from experience. Surely depends on the GA.
It worked (?)

The question mark because the boarding process at KEF was chaotic at best today, and the (large) team handling the gate really didn't make the process any easier. For starter, we needed every second of the built-in boarding time (almost an hour); even each pre-boarding group took a long time to complete - not sure why the long pause in between each pre-boarding group. This is a brand new route for UA (not even a week old), so there is time to fix. On the bright side, the flight itself was superb, the team on board (Newark flight crew) was amazing. Lost my E+ seats following the removal of my UA info, but my E- seats (row 23) felt roomier and much better experience than PS flights in my experience. Same planes and all - weird. Lunch was simple but edible - ham and cheese sandwich (hot), apple tart, chips, M&M!!

Anyway, back to the original dilemma - I didn't have to show my Plat card, but was allowed to board with Group 1 despite my UA app said Group 3 - could have been due to the chaos during the boarding process. Also, I used the boarding issued by SK (I was connecting at KEF), which didn't have UA group boarding identification.

Also of note, at CPH, I was allowed to enter the SK lounge with just my SK boarding pass. At two other airports in North America on this itinerary, I had to show my UA Plat card, my only *A Gold status at present time.