FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Duniway Portland, a Hilton Hotel {US-OR}
Old May 28, 2018, 6:10 pm
missamo80

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Stayed here for two nights over the Memorial Day weekend. Can't say I was as smitten with the hotel as everyone else in this thread. The whole stay just had a number of minor annoyances that added up to a barely average Hilton stay.

Check-in at 4pm was a mess. They had two people working at two of three terminals to check people in with a line down the lobby. Took around 10 minutes to get to the front. No upgrades, which isn't entirely surprising considering the long weekend.

We were also warned the parking garage doesn't reliably take the room key to exit so we should stop by the front desk to get our ticket "validated" (written on in a gold Sharpie). This turned out to be an ongoing annoyance since we were in and out of the parking garage 6-8 times over the course of the stay, each time requiring another stop at the front desk to get the ticket validated.

The room was fine. Nice big TV that works with Chromecast on the phone. The walls, however, are thin and we could hear the family in the room next to us the entire stay.

I'd say our biggest disappointment was Jackrabbit. We had brunch one day and breakfast the next. As others have mentioned they charge for the coffee, and the price isn't listed on the menu. $15 per person per day credit seems like a good deal but you really can't get any food + drink for that price. My wife splurged and got the hash which was $19, and came with a whole bunch of potatoes and six tiny cubes of meat. Service ignored us for a good ten minutes after we sat down too. Totally unimpressive.

This morning was the regular breakfast and I had the breakfast sandwich. Bland and no better than a sausage and egg McMuffin. We were sat next to the window and the window sill was covered in crumbs from dinner the night before.

We tried going for happy hour once and were ignored. Went to the bar to get a menu, which I was given, and then went to sit and think about what to eat. No sign of any service at all so we gave up and left.

Overall it's amazing how much the experiences at breakfast and the bar colour the whole stay. The rooms are nice, but when you add in thin walls and poor restaurant service it's tough to justify the extra money to stay here instead of any of the many other hotels in the area.