FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage
Old May 28, 2018, 3:15 pm
HotPie

Citicard free domestic checked bag if opening credit AFTER booking trip?

I just booked the following award trip to Hawaii for me and my wife and I'm wondering how many checked bags I'd have to pay for if I got the Citi AA platinum card, assuming I had the card more than 7 days before departure on July 3. I called AA and below is what the rep told me.

My question is: would I actually have to pay to check my bags in LAX on July 4 and LIH on July 15? The overnight layovers weren't my choice, that's just how the flights were arranged. I booked three flights -- ABQ to HNL from July 3-4, HNL to LIH on July 8, and LIH to ABQ on July 15-16. July 4 I could understand since I get the bags and then recheck them, but it seems odd to pay the fee on July 15 since I'm checking in with American.

Also, does it matter if the trip was booked with my wife's AA account/miles but the credit card is in my name? My AA number is on the reservation -- everything shows up when I log into my AA account.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 to Wednesday, July 4, 2018
3092 American Airlines (Operated by SkyWest Airlines as American Eagle)
7:10 PM ABQ to 8:15 PM LAX (check bags, no fee due to CC, retrieve bags, go to hotel)

1057 Alaska Airlines (check bags, pay fee)
10:05 AM LAX to 12:59 PM HNL

then a connecting flight to Kauai on Hawaiian on July 8 that I'm sure I'll have to pay bag fees on regardless

Sunday, July 15, 2018 to Monday, July 16, 2018
266 American Airlines
4:08 PM LIH to 12:44 AM LAX (check bags, pay fee since Alaska is in the chain regardless of having CC)

6034 American Airlines (Operated by Compass Airlines as American Eagle)
6:30 AM LAX to 7:58 AM SFO (bags are held by airline, don't get them back, don't have to check them again)

3376 Alaska Airlines (Operated by SkyWest Airlines as Alaskaskywest)
11:10 AM SFO to 2:31 PM ABQ (bags are held by airline, don't get them back, don't have to check them again)