FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangladesh, Burma and Beijing the Long Way (with stops in Laos, Singapore and Tokyo)
Old May 27, 2018, 12:12 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Cathay Pacific Premium Economy: Boston - Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific
Premium Economy Class (E)
CX811: BOS-HKG (Boston to Hong Kong)
18 May 2018
Boeing 777-300ER (77W Four Class Configuration)
B-KPN
Seat 33K

Departure: 01:45AM
Arrival: 05:10AM +1

I purchased this ticket last November during the CX Black Friday Sale for a ridiculously reduced price. I believe it cost roughly 50% of the typical going rate. At the time, I had no idea what I'd use it for, but I eventually formulated a plan in the months leading up to the flight.

This was my third BOS-HKG non-stop with CX, so it's become a bit routine by now. I turned up at the airport (via Uber) a few hours prior to departure. Despite the late hour, Logan Terminal E was a lot busier than usual. Emirates, British Airways and Lufthansa all had later night departures that night, so we had some company in the terminal.

As usual, I made my way to the adequate British Airways Galleries Lounge.

Espresso at 11PM is always a good idea.

Emirates B777 loading up with transit pax to India (via DXB, of course)

Unfortunately, I did not get an op-up this time around. I thought my chances were good, as Y and PE were both very full in the days leading up to the flight. But the op-up gods did not smile upon me this time around. There's always next time.

I did manage to be the first to board the plane, which is always nice.

Settling in for a long flight. There was a bit of turbulence early in the flight, but it smoothed out after dinner.

Dinner menu

I chose the steak for dinner, which isn't always a good idea. In this case, it worked out; the steak was pretty good. The starter, as aways with CX, was execrable. I don't understand why they insist on putting either fish or game in their PE starters.

I slept for 6-7 hours (aided by the wonder drug Unisom) and woke up about two hours before landing. Breakfast was served shortly thereafter and I chose the noodles. I'd had a similar dish in CX J on this route, and the PE version was quite good. They don't serve Guilin Chili Sauce with it in PE, and its absence was sorely missed. Overall, a tasty breakfast, though.

Sunrise over Hong Kong

Overall, it was an uneventful flight and I got a decent amount of rest, so well done once again for Cathay. We landed in HKG on time and I had to hunt down the boarding pass for my onward flight (separate tickets).