FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annual Travel Insurance Plans
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2018, 11:21 am
aroundtheworld76

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by Duke787
Anyone have actual experience with MedJet / Ripcord / Global Rescue?

Trying to decide between the three and they all seem to have plusses and minuses.

MedJet seems like the best but the inpatient clause has me worried. Our upcoming honeymoon includes Ubud and Bora Bora and I'm not sure if the medical facilities there qualify as hospitals or treat inpatients such that they qualify under MedJets T&Cs. If not it would make MedJet less attractive.
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I am looking at policies right now, and am interested in hearing people's opinions about Medjet / ripcord / GBR / etc...

Re: MedJet clause, it seems slightly more restrictive than in-patient : from what I understand, you have to be in a hospital with road access. This may sound like a trivial distinction, but in some parts of the world that is not always the case. Also, it needs to be near an airfield capable of accommodating an authorized aircraft (so if you're on a cruise and the nearest port-of-call doesn't have an airstrip, you're SOL).

RE: Medjet/ Ripcord/ GR

I've been involved with repatriations by all three companies. There are significant differences, but for the most part, any of them will get you home if you become ill or injured pretty much anywhere. Do not fret about whether you're near an airstrip. The quotes provided to these companies by their air ambulance operators include ground transport to the aircraft. I've seen it done by boat and pickup truck if ambulances aren't an option.
For the most part, Medjet and GR sell themselves as "memberships" rather than traditional insurance that has a set benefit limit. Medjet typically doesn't cover your care while abroad prior to evac. GR will sell you an IMG policy alongside their membership to cover such care. Ripcord calls itself "travel insurance on steroids" and has a purchase tier that includes medical care abroad. Medjet used to be the only player in the game, and they only offered the medical transport benefit. With the emergence of hyperdynamic organizations like Global Rescue and Ripcord, they've been forced to up their game in the security and crisis response arenas.

ETA: Had a chat with the sales folks from work today. Sure enough, there are indeed a few places (mostly tiny islands) that MedJet assist won't cover evacs from, even if our guys can arrange it. Ubud and Bora Bora are common pick up spots though.

Last edited by aroundtheworld76; Jun 16, 2018 at 2:54 pm