FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory $3.29 “gratuity” for Honors breakfast
Old May 27, 2018, 7:18 am
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by andset1191
Greetings from a storm in NYC.

i was chased out of the breakfast room of the HGI Times Square as I neglected to request the check for my complimentary breakfast; which would have a “15% gratuity” of $3.29 on it. The receipt suggested I may wish to add a further 15%, 18% or 20% to it.

Call me ungrateful; and yes I’m British, and my standard is to leave 15-20% for lunch/dinner and a dollar (or two for exceptional service) at a buffet, but isn’t this taking things too far?

The service was minimal. Seat yourself, serve yourself, top up your own juice (they did bring me one, though) and they never cleared up. It was empty (7am Sunday morning).

Is this what I should accept in the US? Have I been screwing servers at breakfast for years by only giving the odd dollar, rather than a notional 15%?
Was the $3.29 added to your room bill at checkout? If not, then it wasn't "compulsory", it was suggested. The "receipt for a complimentary breakfast" concept - from my experience - appears to be unique to the Hilton Garden Inn brand. I've experienced it in an HGI in Tampa; I found it odd but didn't get too worked up about it (hint, hint.)

This situation is analogous to the people who use their Priority Pass memberships at select airports where PP has partnerships with restaurants to provide PP members up to $28 per person per visit of free food/drink. Yes, the meal is "free"......but from the serving staff's perspective, they still have a living to make and tips - like it or not - are a significant component of their wage structure. So does one tip the "normal" rate based upon on the imputed cost of the meal (which is presented on the receipt) or does one not leave a tip because 15-20% of free is zero?

As to your question "is this what I should accept in the US".......yes, a single experience at a single establishment that is part of a large corporation is representative of the entire country.