FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long haul flight upgrade
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2018, 8:45 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Why is there so much hate for Norwegian? They are just as comfortable, if not more so, than UA in E- and you are pretty well guaranteed a 787 whereas UA flies an exotic range of ancient planes, with the odd modern one thrown in. The only significant difference is that you pay (or pre-pay) for food on Norwegian, and that you are less likely to get really bad service on Norwegian.
I don't hate ULCC's - in fact, I'm very glad they exist, both for the times I actually use them and the times they've had a positive competitive effect on a route I fly.

I stand by my original hypothesis that the OP (who hasn't returned) is flying for leisure, and flying Norwegian's evening nonstop FCO-LAX makes perfect sense. And all things being equal, an upgrade out of the ULCC Y- experience is probably a pretty good place to upgrade. I fly Spirit every once in a while, and always look to make sure that the BFS is available so I can buy it 1 minute after I have my ticket receipt in my hand. I would probably do the same on Norwegian if I ever flew them (or just buy it as part of the original booking, if that made more sense).