FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking Economy Then Upgrade with Cash Out of Pocket Later?
Old May 23, 2018, 8:50 am
jdrtravel

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not true. It's not a F ticket only if you use the seat map and do an a la carte seat upgrade on only one flight to F. If you click the upgrade all segments, it upgrades to an actual F ticket. All phone agents can do is actual upgrades to an actual F ticket.

And even in this situation, I still think DL would attempt to give you confirmed F seating for that segment if you had to switch flights due to IRROPS. It's been a long time since I've heard of anyone having trouble with this issue or with any GAP fares being treated as Y fares, unless there were just not F seats available.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They can't even sell the al a carte seat upgrades.
I think this may have changed recently. What leads me to believe this is that I recently called to upgrade a flight and one agent quoted me the the price of a buy up to an A fare, and another agent quoted me the price that was the same as the online buy up (which was higher). I then pressed her and she said something like "Oh I would need to price it out as a rebooking" or something like that. I did not ask about al a carte, but I did seem like the phone agents now have access to that inventory and pricing, so it's important to clarify how they are pricing an upgrade when you call. Best thing to do is to do a new online search for F on that route you want and see what the F fare would be, and make sure you are not being charged more than the difference between your Y fare and that F fare.