FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong kong airlines - worst experience ever
Old May 22, 2018, 10:02 am
Virginia Emery

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The airline's internal booking system seems to have failed here which sucks for the OP BUT the airline's own website tells people to verify their eligibility to transit and enter a country via the IATA website https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_...el/visas_taxes which when I completed that as a Thai citizen it did correctly state visas are required.

A traveler is responsible for their own visa documentation even though the airline failed here. Since their internal system failed they should acknowledge this and offer a credit as a customer service gesture but a refund is not due here in my opinion.
You should go through a sample booking, it wasn't obvious to me that OP would have been transiting in Vancouver.

Also Vancouver DOES support sterile International - USA transits, just not Hong Kong Airlines. Cathay and Philippines are okay - go figure

International Arrivals to USA Departures

You are a connecting passenger who is arriving from an International City (e.g. London) and connecting to a US destination (e.g. New York)

In-transit pre-clearance -- For passengers arriving on Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Korean Airlines, Lufthansa, All Nippon Airways, Philippine Airlines, WestJet, China Southern, China Eastern, or KLM please follow the "In-transit pre-clearance".