Old May 22, 18, 12:45 am
YEG USER

Advice Requested - TD Aeroplan vs. CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite

I'm looking for some advice regarding Aeroplan credit cards; after doing some research I think that the TD Aeroplan and CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite cards are the best options for me. I'm currently SE100k, so really don't care about the Air Canada benefits that come with each card. I'm also not overly interested in miles accumulation as I've got a large balance that I'm trying to use up prior to 2020. The main benefits I'm interested in are the insurance benefits as I'm wanting to IKK a few overseas trips for myself and my family to use up my miles.

A summary of the insurance benefits for each card is as follows. Both cards provide insurance when Aeroplan miles are used. FWIW I intend to charge full fees/taxes to whichever card I get so don't need to concern myself about charging fees to a different card:

TD:
  1. Travel Medical - Up to $1 million of coverage for 1st 21 days
  2. Trip Cancellation - Up to $1,500 per insured person up to $5,000 combined for all insured persons
  3. Trip Interruption - Up to $5,000 per insured person up to $25,000 combined for all insured persons
  4. Delayed and Lost Baggage - Up to $1,000 per insured person if baggage delayed over 6 hours
  5. Flight/Trip Delay Insurance - Up to $500 if flight/trip delayed more than 4 hours.
  6. Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance - Up to $500,000
  7. Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance - Up to 48 consecutive days.

CIBC:
  1. Travel Medical - Up to $5 million of coverage for first 15 days
  2. Trip Cancellation - Up to $1,000 per insured person up to $5,000 combined for all insured persons
  3. Trip Interruption - Up to $2,000 per insured person
  4. Delayed and Lost Baggage - Up to $500 (no mention if this is per person) if baggage delayed over 6 hours. Up to $500 for lost/damaged baggage.
  5. Flight/Trip Delay Insurance - Up to $500 (no mention if this is per person) for hotel/restaurant, up to $100 for ground transportation, up to $100 for entertainment when delayed boarding for more than 4 hours
  6. Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance - Up to $500,000
  7. Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance - Included
It seems to me, that with the exception of medical insurance, that the insurance offerings on the TD card are better than those of the CIBC equivalent, plus the CIBC benefits guide mentions repeatedly that the insurance is "excess insurance." Is the TD insurance also excess insurance? I'm concerned about a scenario such as: if I misconnect on a flight, and I decide to stay at a better/more convenient hotel than what the airline might offer. With either of these cards, would I be out of pocket if I chose a different hotel than the airline offered (my experience has been airlines offering hotels with long shuttle/bus rides, etc. to the point that it doesn't make sense to stay there).

Any advice/insight/experience regarding insurance on either of these cards is appreciated.\

TIA