FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2018, 12:39 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willbur
They currently give back 45,000 for a Cat 1-5 when you choose to cancel (which is the equivalent of Cat 1 x 6 nights) but I imagine there's zero chance this is what's refunded if Marriott cancels the cert at their choosing. This doesn't even give you the points to book 2 nights at a Cat 5.
Originally Posted by musicscrip

I totally understand and it makes sense to me IF I am the one who wants to cancel my travel package. BUT if Marriott is doing that to us would be VERY unfair. Because we didn't ask them to cancel our certificate but they are cancelling it to convert pt into new program. I asked about this in the thread so hopefully I will get an answer from SPG Lurker.

I dont really understand your worry. Are you saying Marriott is cancelling the certs from Travel Package and not refunding you the points? What does that have anything to do with the SPG side? We are talking about Marriott TP here, and NOT SPG flight and night redemption, right?

Currently there is nothing to suggest Marriott would cancel the certificate and not refund the owner anything. Unless I have missed it, which is entirely possible as I came back from a 35 days trip just last week and now is playing catch up.

What I believe is, Marriott would replace the existing certs with the categories the old categories mapped to. I hope it would be a fair one because when they do the SPG to Marriott conversion at 1 to 3, ir is a very fair one.

You guys are pulling hairs out speculating on things that is totally unknown and most likely would not happen, i.e. cancellating certs without at least refunding the pts at current level.

Remember, the Travel Package is designed in a way that you get better value by having the miles and hotel stay tied together. You could choose to do it separately, with less value to you than the TP option if you feel the probability of Marriott not refunding any pts when it cancels the existing certs.

Last edited by Happy; May 20, 2018 at 12:46 pm