FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 788 flying BKK-AKL 7 Apr instead of 789
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2018, 5:37 am
Thai-Kiwi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JT00SWIM
Yea, this is a major stink. I was ok when I thought it was a 777-300er as the couple seats are quite private, but my flight has also been changed to the old angle flat 777-200. I've flown this one other time, on a short flight from BKK to KBV, which was fine for an hour flight. Shameful this is used for a 12 hour long haul flight!
I am not sure 'shameful' is apt - maybe regrettable. You could cancel if the 777-200ER is a deal-breaker.

I have flown the 777-200ER (or the A346) in J BKK-AKL and vv around 18 times. I didn't mind this seat AKL to BKK as this is essentially a daytime flight, however the return overnight BKK-AKL flight was more of a challenge to get a 4-5 hours decent rest/sleep. The situation caused by RR engines in the 787-9 is unfortunate for all, as is TG's decision to move the 777-200ER back to BKK-AKL. But I an understand that this probably minimises overall disruption to their network.

I do count myself 'lucky' that my recent flights in J (Apr/May) were 77W AKL-BKK, and 788 BKK-AKL.