FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Involuntary denial of boarding, please help
Old May 20, 2018, 4:41 am
Deniedboardinghelp

Hi, I will try to do a proper update later on as I know that people here care and are interested in the outcome.
I am sorry I didn't update sooner, this is because if a combination of reasons: I have been quite seriously ill lately and have been busy dealing with hospitals etc. instead; I have felt quite depressed about this whole saga and even typing out a simple message reminds me of that; and lastly (but not leastly) BA have finally managed to destroy my belief in the goodness of humanity.

Clearly any hopes I had that BA would want to sort this out with a minimum of fuss and cost were ridiculously naive. They have made it very clear that they want any resolution to this saga to be as long, complicated, stresssful and expensive as possible. To cut a long story short, basically BA have said that they would rather deal with thus through the CAA, DOT and EHRC. This seems a bizarre choice commercially to me as if they were willing to just apologise and maybe offer the minimum compensation for the delay I probably would have accepted that (I have a very forgiving nature). The legal route will clearly cost them a lot more whatever the outcome. Their position is that by their reading of the regulations I fall between the different criteria for statutory compensation. (I don't agree with this having read the published guidance on the regulations and various case law).

They don't seem to deny that they have broken various parts of EC261 and EC1107 and U.K. And US access to transport regulation, but they have explained to me that these breaches don't result in statutory compensation to me (instead there are various fines and action against the airline).