FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old May 19, 2018, 11:45 pm
osotoc

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
My post August credit card plan has a major problem. The current plan is:
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) for restaurants and travel expenses
  • ​​​​Chase Freedom Unlimited (CFU) for everyday spending

The CFU is a great card but not overseas. I need a card for everyday spend without foreign transaction fees.
I don't think there is a transferable points card that has > 1x non-bonus earning potential that also has no foreign transaction fee.
I have the Chase UA Mileage Plus card too (1.5x UA miles/$1) with no FOREX, but again, only earning UA miles. Not a bad place to store miles, though.
If you have a particular currency (e.g., UR or MR) you want to add to--albeit at the slower 1x/$1 earning rate--then you should probably use that card.
Or, like me, I'll be using the BoA AS card to bulk up that account. I figured I'd diversity beyond UR, MR, and UA. So you can pick a specific airline and use that co-branded card.

I did think about the Cathay Pacific card, which earns 1.5x Asia Mileage points/$1 (specifically overseas) but those expire 3 years after earning, with no way to extend them.
Not sure I'll be able to gather enough to make it worthwhile.

Good luck!
Good luck!