FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old May 19, 2018, 5:43 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In the Marriott world, upgrades are not limited to "standard suites" -- and no one calls a corner room a suite.
Don't confuse the upgrade floor with the upgrade ceiling - I'm guessing most loyal SPGers (like myself) have gotten the Wow suite, a Presidential suite, etc. at some point along the way. Properties can and do go above and beyond.

FWIW I can't remember the last time (or any time) a "corner room" was described to me as a suite. I actually had one of those at the Sheraton Grand in London, it was just described as a large room, and was actually more like a Junior suite. Also in the SPG world no one calls the "concierge/club floor" an upgrade either, when one already has lounge access.

I expect the best room they have and room to spread out in with a nice view. American Airlines provides published benefits 99.9 percent of the time, legacy Marriott properties provide it 80 percent of the time, legacy SPG properties are 50/50 and often involve Front Desk staff who are following instructions in lieu of program rules, and Hertz only around 25 percent of the time because of poorly trained staff.
800 nights and I can't remember the last time a SPG property didn't follow the rules, as you say. Correction, I remember seeing suites available at the LM Charlotte 4 years ago and I wasn't booked into one. So one time.

OTOH if picking up the phone in a timely manner when I call, or sending an e-mail booking of a reservation is part of the "program rules", Marriott is failing heavily for me so far. YMMV.