FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old May 18, 2018, 8:23 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin

In the Marriott business-centered universe, the front desk experience seems to be of serious import to you—because perhaps you focus only on suite and room upgrades and welcome amenities. In the Starwood universe, the front desk is but one of many that are important—since being Platinum should also mean you get better treatment and service, and being Ambassador level should also mean that you’re accorded VIP status. In the Starwood universe, the daily management meeting with relevant staff to highlight the VIP guests (including Ambassador guests) should more than accomplish that same goal but with all relevant departments: valets and parking, front desk, bell service, housekeeping, food/beverage, spa, butlers, etc. That is why I not only get upgraded so much more often but also why I receive such fabulous service all-around as a hotel guest.

Actually, that very well may meet the published benefits for SPG Platinum! You are guaranteed an upgrade to a standard suite based on availability. If no standard suites are available for the duration of your stays, then you don’t suddenly get them! If there aren’t many standard suites (usually only junior suites and entry level suite categories as the hotel defines them) or if the standard suites already are all booked, you don’t get the upgrade. It’s a guaranteed benefit based on availability only.

As for the others, I don't believe there is anyone else who reports the quality of experience you report and in my experience, the group on here and on the SPG board are a group of quality travelers who don't just come here to complain. This isn't TripAdvisor. Most report they use their Ambassador on a couple of occasions a year and get help.
I acknowledge that there are less effective and even some bad Ambassadors. Those Ambassadors who don’t respond to requests should be replaced. Those guests who are dissatisfied with their Ambassadors should ask for new ones. But those guests who have bad Ambassadors and yet never complain to the Ambassador service or ask for a new Ambassador are being passive-aggressive and enabling if they merely complain on a blog.

i did ask my Ambassador to reconfirm the air con settings at these Japan hotels. I don’t ask that for all hotels, nor do I know if my Ambassador does so or not. My SPG profile clearly indicates that my preference is for 67 F for any SPG hotel that bothers to check. Those that don’t bother to check or are incapable of such air con suffer the consequences!

You make some valid points. I can't expect upgrades that don't exist but I can read occupancy from rates and the vibe since I'm checking in 100 times a year. Certainly, a lot of business hotels don't have suites to upgrade to but the W Scottsdale routinely ignores program benefits and at least a couple of other legacy SPG hotels had rather obvious suites and other upgrades available. In the Marriott world, upgrades are not limited to "standard suites" -- and no one calls a corner room a suite.

Certainly, I focus on the front desk experience in connection with elite recognition but its not, from my view, because of a business centric view. I expect a hotel to recognize those who stay 100 nights a year before those occasional guests (and certainly before the W cooler crowd).

On the other hand, when it comes to "valets and parking, front desk, bell service, housekeeping, food/beverage, spa, butlers, etc.," I confess I don't expect any special treatment. I would hope that those are all of uniform quality and that all guests get treated well with that.

I'm not claiming that my Ambassador doesn't meet my requests. But it seems to me that you're experiences are mostly a function of your requests, not your ambassador reaching out proactively to the hotel to automatically make requests.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Apart from specific help, it is often difficult to separate hotels that simply provide good Platinum treatment from those making an effort for Ambassador guests specifically..
Which is my point ... I don't believe my Ambassador is contacting hotels every time I stay. As I recall from your earlier post, you've asked the ambassador for help a couple of times over the year and received it. So, while I'm happy to have an ambassador, I'm still at a loss to know what I should be asking for other than adding a guest checking in first, asking for help with an upgrade, asking for help wither a rewards reservation if I needed it, or asking for a surprise in advance.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly comfortable carrying a backpack and taking the subway in a foreign city to the RC or a LC of a JW. I just want the front desk to give me the best room they have available and to have done some planning. While I've spent hundreds of days in my life sleeping outdoors, when you spend 100 days a year in hotels, I expect the best room they have and room to spread out in with a nice view. American Airlines provides published benefits 99.9 percent of the time, legacy Marriott properties provide it 80 percent of the time, legacy SPG properties are 50/50 and often involve Front Desk staff who are following instructions in lieu of program rules, and Hertz only around 25 percent of the time because of poorly trained staff. And, I mainly dropped Hertz in favor or public transit and/or Uber because they don't follow program rules.

Last edited by bdschobel; May 19, 2018 at 9:58 am Reason: fixed coding