FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taking a bus/train to Wilmington, DE from Philadelphia
Old May 18, 2018, 8:10 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by hightide
I'm thinking of visiting Philadelphia. As PA's neighbour is tax-free state DE, I would like to go shopping as well as pre-buy gadgets online posted to a hotel in DE or pick them up at storefronts in DE.

It looks like Greyhound buses and Amtrak arrive at zip code 19801. Googling that zip code, I don't see any shopping centers and/or malls nearby.
Is there a more convenient to reach city in DE by bus/train aside from Wilmington that has abundant shopping?

Would Newark be a decent option as I see Christina mall?
You'd have to be spending over $250 for the sales tax savings to cover the cost of getting there. Outside Philly, the tax on most goods is 6%, and no tax on clothing, and the King of Prussia Mall is one of the largest in the country. The suburbs, easily reachable by regional rail, offer plenty of big box and electronic stores.

If you go to Delaware, SEPTA regional rail is probably your best bet as Amtrak fares have recently risen, and a last minute RT PHL-WIL ticket would start at $62 and go up. Regional rail could be as little as $13 if you use an Independence Pass (check that they are valid to DE). http://www.septa.com/schedules/rail/pdf/nwk.pdf