FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old May 18, 2018, 2:35 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I agree my status as a "charter" -- I've never heard of a trial -- ambassador on the Marriott side doesn't carry over to SPG. So, my experience on the SPG side is as a "mere" Platinum.
Just making sure we all are on the same page. I think the distinction is important.

Of course, you've acknowledged you don't know whether the SPG desk can tell whether a guest is an SPG Plat, a Plat75, or Plat100 with Ambassador. So, as a "mere" Platinum, I only expect the published benefits.
For SPG, there is no published difference in suite upgrade priority preference between Plat50 or Plat75. The only differences published have nothing to do with the experience at any hotel. As a result, there is no reason that hotel staff should know one is Plat50 or Plat75. Your codes may be important and/or make a difference for you in the Marriott universe, but they are wholly irrelevant in the Starwood universe. Platinums are Platinums....except for the Ambassador Platinums.

There actually is no published difference in suite upgrade priority preference for Plat100s, either. Whether or not the hotel staff overall knows who we are from any codes—I cannot say. However, there is no question that for whatever reasons, whether I know them or not, my hotels almost always know I am a VIP guest. Our Ambassadors contacting the hotel teams on our behalf—therefore indicating our status—likely tends to make a big difference. In the Marriott universe, perhaps a new code will also accomplish that feat. And our Ambassadors contacting the hotels on our behalf will serve to reinforce those codes.

In the Marriott business-centered universe, the front desk experience seems to be of serious import to you—because perhaps you focus only on suite and room upgrades and welcome amenities. In the Starwood universe, the front desk is but one of many that are important—since being Platinum should also mean you get better treatment and service, and being Ambassador level should also mean that you’re accorded VIP status. In the Starwood universe, the daily management meeting with relevant staff to highlight the VIP guests (including Ambassador guests) should more than accomplish that same goal but with all relevant departments: valets and parking, front desk, bell service, housekeeping, food/beverage, spa, butlers, etc. That is why I not only get upgraded so much more often but also why I receive such fabulous service all-around as a hotel guest.

But ... after 14 SPG stays in 2018 ... in SPG properties ranging from the LC Park in Buenos Aires to the Westin in Nashville, (one of my SPG stays are at Elements or non-full service SPG properties) I've had two suite upgrades. That hardly meets the published benefits of the SPG Platinum program...
Actually, that very well may meet the published benefits for SPG Platinum! You are guaranteed an upgrade to a standard suite based on availability. If no standard suites are available for the duration of your stays, then you don’t suddenly get them! If there aren’t many standard suites (usually only junior suites and entry level suite categories as the hotel defines them) or if the standard suites already are all booked, you don’t get the upgrade. It’s a guaranteed benefit based on availability only.

We have no idea how many standard suites were available for your stays. It seems like not many.

The Westin Nashville has a total of 456 rooms, only 18 of which are suites. It stands to reason that not all 18 suites are qualified as standard suites. Your chances are minimal with such odds.

The W Scottsdale has a total of 230 rooms, only 33 of which are suites. There are 10 studio suites and 6 cool corner suites. It’s possible only the 10 studio suites are standard suites. Those aren’t good odds, either.

The Park Tower Buenos Aires has a total of 180 rooms, only 19 of which are suites. There are 16 corner suite rooms, so even assuming all of those are standard suites, the odds aren’t wonderful.

I am now at the St Regis Osaka with only 160 rooms, only 12 of which are suites. That’s very low for a St. Regis. Only 5 of those suite are the lowest category Grand Deluxe Suites. I therefore am not very surprised at all that my SNAs and my complimentary Platinum upgrade—even with my Ambassador status—didn’t get me a suite upgrade. Common sense told me the numbers weren’t in my favor. I’m disappointed but not at all surprised. Starwood didn’t fail me. My Ambassador status and even regular Platinum status didn’t fail me. But that darn developer did!

As I’ve said repeatedly, there are a ridiculous number of Platinum member complaints about not getting suite upgrades at hotels that don’t have many standard suites and/or at high occupancy/holiday periods and/or high Platinum occupancy hotels—with no recognition for the basic math and odds involved.

but I readily acknowledge its not representative of the SPG Ambassador experience. All of the SPG properties i have stayed at have suites and room service.
Even my Ambassador status can’t change the basic math and odds—or change when I’m at a hotel at high occupancy where all the suites are sold!

Not sure what room service has to do with anything, but I do love room service!

[quote]As for the others, I don't believe there is anyone else who reports the quality of experience you report and in my experience, the group on here and on the SPG board are a group of quality travelers who don't just come here to complain. This isn't TripAdvisor. Most report they use their Ambassador on a couple of occasions a year and get help. [quote]

I acknowledge that there are less effective and even some bad Ambassadors. Those Ambassadors who don’t respond to requests should be replaced. Those guests who are dissatisfied with their Ambassadors should ask for new ones. But those guests who have bad Ambassadors and yet never complain to the Ambassador service or ask for a new Ambassador are being passive-aggressive and enabling if they merely complain on a blog.

On the temperature piece and this trip, did you contact your ambassador in connection with this trip and ask him/her to make sure that all your hotel rooms had the temperature pre-set before your arrival? Is your Ambassador calling for 100 nights a year to different properties?
i did ask my Ambassador to reconfirm the air con settings at these Japan hotels. I don’t ask that for all hotels, nor do I know if my Ambassador does so or not. My SPG profile clearly indicates that my preference is for 67 F for any SPG hotel that bothers to check. Those that don’t bother to check or are incapable of such air con suffer the consequences!

And as for the Platinum Premier Ambassador experience on the Marriott, my experience is that if I make requests to my ambassador she handles it but I don't know what to request other than some occasional assistance with getting names added properties to the reservation or paying in advance. I'm fairly confident she's not contacting properties in advance. On the other hand, my upgrade rate with 42 nights in legacy Marriott is far better than in legacy Starwood properties. For example, I'm in a Courtyard in rural America tonight since my travels could be Boise, Brussels, or Buenos Aires. I received one of their two suites along with a nice handwritten card from the hotel GM, a bag of snacks from the market, and a couple of drink coupons. This highlights that for a regular traveler who doesn't have time to call an Ambassador to plan out my stays next week at a Marriott, Renaissance, and Westin, an engaged GM has far more value than the Ambassador.
Sorry—but I believe you are drawing false comparisons and therefore suffering false equivalency. If you stay at a rural Courtyard that has you as the only Plat or Ambassador or VIP guest, it surprises no one that you get one of its few suites. Rural America doesn’t get many VIPs. An urban hotel does get more. An urban St Regis gets more than that!

Last edited by bhrubin; May 18, 2018 at 7:30 am