FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old May 17, 2018, 7:22 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Your temperature requirements are becoming legendary.
So I’ve been told in the Luxury Hotels Forum.

How did you travel in parts of Europe like France before the infamous heat wave that killed hundreds of people and caused many luxury hotels to change their stance that AC just isn't nice and instead install it in various historic hotels? I learned to always get a written confirmation that any hotel room...
I almost always avoid the warmest (and/or most humid) seasons, and I always get it in writing at time of booking that the hotel room can cool to at least 18-19 C during the day and night. I’ll settle for at least 20 C but I prefer to give myself breathing room just to be safe!

I have NEVER visited Europe in June, July, or August. We go every year at the end of September through the first or second week of October. It’s still a crapshoot for me, but I’ve been luckier than not.

I also carry a portable thermometer (given to me by the Prince de Galles Paris last Oct) that I bring with me everywhere I go now. It has proven my point and saved me countless arguments...and money. Luxury hotels don’t get to pretend they are 5 star when their air con can’t cool to the same temperature as a Holiday Inn.

My SPG profile clearly asks that my room be preset to 67 F (or 19.4 C) to help my cause. My Marriott profile now says the same. My Ambassador reiterates the importance of that to every hotel at which I stay. They know well before my arrival how crazy my need is. My profiles with Aman and Four Seasons include the same instructions.

In a few instances where it’s always hot and humid—like Indonesia—I decided it was best to go when it was slightly worst (i.e. May) since at least it would be less crowded and cheaper and with greater chances for upgrades and getting premium award tickets. If I’m going to suffer heat and humidity anyway, I might as well suffer with the chance for better deals on rooms and flights!