FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)
Old May 17, 2018, 3:48 pm
maxp0wers

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Well, if you pay the CSR annual fee this year (now), you are still going to get another $300 travel credit during the cardmember year - you'll get the $300 credit again in January. That makes your CSR cardmember year annual cost a net $150.00 and not a net $450.00.

So the aggregate cardmember year annual fee comparison is $545 vs $600. For that extra $55 you'll get the additional UR points for travel and dining over the CSP, primary car rental insurance, and better trip delay benefits. If that's worth $55 to you, then I'd say keep the CSR. (None of that is included in the biz plat.)
I understand what you are saying and agree that if i were to keep the CSR, then the actual year ( April to April ) net fee would be $150. However, i see things a little differently. If I cancel the CSR right now ( within 30 days of AF hitting ), i would be reimbursed $450 and then pay the CSP annual fee of $95. if i were to re-upgrade my CSP to CSR next April, then the AF for my card member year for the next 12 months would actually be $95 and not $450.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly why Chase changed the terms of the benefits so that the $300 credit now is given each year at renewal and not calendar year.

Primary rental car insurance is very important for me, and like Mia mentioned, it is also on the CSP. Travel insurance is another big thing for me ( not on the Amex plat which seems crazy to me ), but i can make due with the time difference between the CSR and the CSP if it was a trip that i felt i wanted the insurance for. I did have a 38 hour delay this winter with Norwegian Air and Chase travel insurance covered all my costs ( $495 out of the $500 limit ).

Both CSP and CSR have the little discussed road side assistance as well. Of course it's better on the CSR, but nice to have some help on CSP ( also on the Amex plat ).

Overall, the CSR downgrade seems like the way to go right now. Is there any rules limiting the ability to upgrade a card that was downgraded last year? I just need to let a full year pass, right?