FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?
Old May 16, 2018, 1:44 pm
merle123

Programs: Hhonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum
Executive lounges have costs- someone has to pay for it (either in the room rate directly or in other room rates indirectly if it is given "free" to elites, but still SOMEONE pays for that lounge, it is not really "free"). A lot of people are perfectly happy with limited service and keeping more money in their pockets- if they weren't Airbnb/Hampton/HGI/Homewood/Tru wouldn't be very successful, nor would buying hotels off of hotels.com/Priceline/Hotwire. The question becomes where the niche of high touch properties that have lounges/etc. intersects with the market for it. I would assert there's less market for it in the USA, and the market probably ends up clustering in the Conrads/Waldorf-Astorias and maybe some upper end Hiltons where you can make this work. Otherwise, I sort of expect the ELs to fade out, similar to how room service is on the decline as hotels realize it is not a money maker for them.[/QUOTE]

Others have likened the decline and elimination of lounges to declining comforts/services of airlines. IMHO both are manifestations of what I call the Walmartization of America. Generally speaking, Americans want the best of everything free and if free isn't possible, at the lowest possible price. So, if there are 2 Hiltons in the same market where one has a EL and one does not, would many of us pay extra for the one with the EL? No - we'll take it for free but not if we have to pay more for it. American culture and the culture of those from many European countries seem different in that way. I'd also include Aussies and New Zealanders with the Europeans. Most of those I've met from other countries take more and longer vacations than we Americans do. They also seem willing to spend more freely on higher quality trips, services and products than most of my middle to upper middle class friends are willing to do. Again - in general, Americans have come to value low price more than high quality.