FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Me in CW, friend in WT
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2018, 1:22 pm
BertieBadger

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyingPixie
Evening all

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am taking a trip to NY with a friend. My friend travels via the cheapest method possible. Unfortunately, I am too long in the tooth to be crammed down the back, sat cheek to jowl with my fellow passengers for eight plus hours, so we are on the same flights but separate cabins.

As this is not something I am used to doing, I have a few questions that I would appreciate some guidance on please.

Bag drop - Could my friend accompany me to the club desks and use the bag drop there? Or would this be a strict no?
Boarding - Would she be allowed to board with me during Club/Silver boarding? I assume not but would rather check here as appose to wasting the time of the ground staff whilst boarding.
Disembarking - Would it be frowned upon to ask that my friend be brought up to the front either shortly before landing or after so that we could disembark, go through immigration and baggage reclaim together? I have seen this happen before and know crew have done this in the past but not sure if it’s still a done thing or not.

Ultimately she is aware the likelihood is that I will be on and off the aircraft before her, so it’s not an issue if the answer is a resounding no to all the above. Just curious as to whether anyone has been in this position before and what their experiences were.

thanks
Welcome to de-lurking FlyingPixie. I'm sure one of our friendly ambassadors will be along shortly to give you the proper welcome.

Bag drop - formally, I suspect the answer is no. However I have done this on one occasion without difficulty when travelling with someone in the economy cabin, who had no status of their own at that point - LHR was quiet at the time (no queue at the Club desks) which admittedly influenced my thinking. I just asked politely at the desk if it was possible to check us both in here. The agent was happy to do so.

Boarding - yes, you may board together, even if travelling in different cabins. BA have indicated this - technically they say they will endeavour to board your party together - but in practice I've not had a problem. I recommend politely asking the gate agent as a simple courtesy, but BA's own guidelines say yes.

Disembarking - sorry, I can offer no experience here.

Hope that helps.