FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)
Old May 15, 2018, 6:44 pm
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Just got the AMEX business platinum and considering downgrading my CSR to CSP ( at least for one year ).

I had upgraded my CSP to CSR back in August 2016, and my $450 account fee just hit a couple weeks ago for this year. Because my CSR was received so early on, i still have my $300 travel credit applied at the start of each year ( meaning it's already used ).

I get most of the same premium card benefits out of the AMEX business plat and will need to pay the $450 AF on as well. I really can't think of any reason to pay the CSR $450 fee also this year since i already got the $300 travel credit. Seems worthwhile next year, but downgrading to the CSP seems like the way to go this year.

It seems that the AMEX business plat and CSP would give me just about all the same benefits as keeping the CSR and plat, and at a solid difference ( $545 in AF vs. $900 ).

Am i missing something here?
Well, if you pay the CSR annual fee this year (now), you are still going to get another $300 travel credit during the cardmember year - you'll get the $300 credit again in January. That makes your CSR cardmember year annual cost a net $150.00 and not a net $450.00.

So the aggregate cardmember year annual fee comparison is $545 vs $600. For that extra $55 you'll get the additional UR points for travel and dining over the CSP, primary car rental insurance, and better trip delay benefits. If that's worth $55 to you, then I'd say keep the CSR. (None of that is included in the biz plat.)

Last edited by Diplomatico; May 15, 2018 at 7:03 pm