FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card
Old May 14, 2018, 6:20 pm
blaz

Originally Posted by Gig103
It isn't a waste of your money, so why the hostility? You see the card timing as suspicious because it came with your renewal, but Amex doesn't have any way of knowing you aren't renewing until you call and tell them. They probably saw it as an opportunity to help a card member out since more like the metal than not.
Yes, it is in fact a waste of MY money. The metal card was introduced at the same time as the AF went up to $550, so I'm paying for this nonsense through the AF. But this is not the only reason I object to the metal card:

1. It is a waste of resources that could be better spent on meaningful things (like improvement to benefits, even if minor).
2. Sending out replacement cards when it is clearly not needed (mine expires in 2021) is environment pollution.
3. The metal card can not be shredded.
4. There is no contactless version of the fully metal card. There is a separate contactless version which is partly plastic and partly metal. The fully metal card can not be contactless, as it simply would not work.
5. You say they couldn't know that I won't be renewing. Yes, they could. I'm sure Amex has statistics on how many people renew their cards. Also, common sense dictates that most people cancel their cards *after* the AF is billed, not before.
6. Why do you assume that more people like the metal card? Am I missing something? What exactly is the attraction? As someone in this thread said "it is a payment object" and I will add "and not a piece of jewelry".

Last edited by blaz; May 14, 2018 at 6:40 pm