FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Timer in Brazil - SAO/RIO/IGU/SSA
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2018, 2:50 pm
B747-437B

First Timer in Brazil - SAO/RIO/IGU/SSA

Despite nearly 4 million miles flown and over 80 countries visited in the last 40 years, I've never actually been to Brazil (or indeed anywhere in South America). So I finally decided to use this southern winter to head over there with the missus in August. We've done a LOT of research (probably too much as much of the advice is contradictory) and narrowed down our trip to 10 days spread over Sao Paulo, Rio, Iguazu Falls and Salvador.

However, I am struggling to make decisions related to hotels in particular. The more I read here on FT and on TripAdvisor, nothing seems to evoke more passion than the suggestion of the "right" and "wrong" neighborhoods in Sao Paulo and Rio for tourists. So I figured I'd raise some questions here and see whether some sort of consensus can be built as I make my bookings. We don't have a "budget" per se, but we are both very value conscious so we would rather stay in a cheap and cheerful place than overpay for questionable luxury. Ideal situation is a good deal at a popular place in the off season.

1) Sao Paulo

This is basically just our gateway in/out of Brazil. We'll be arriving on a Saturday evening 1700hrs at GRU and leaving for Rio on Monday at 1100hrs from CGH, giving us essentially 1 full day and 2 nights there. No particular plans as to what we want to do - perfectly happy to just go to a shopping mall or park or something for a few hours while we work off the jetlag and ease ourselves into the Brazil spirit. We're not into bars or discotheques or similar so nightlife and potential walking around after dark is not an issue. I'm also a big city boy with years of experience living and working in places with safety reputations as bad or worse than Sao Paulo, so I know how to conduct myself and minimize threat of being targeted as dumb tourists. Since we are leaving from CGH, somewhere relatively convenient to there would also be a plus (but as its an 11am flight it isn't a dealbreaker either way).

Given that I have a stack of Hilton points as well as status with Hilton, the Sao Paulo Morumbi property looks like an excellent option at around R$400 / 20000 pts, except that the location seems to be a bit away from where most people recommend for tourists. Other chain hotel options with points/status include Priority Club at the IC or the Staybridge Suites. Or any other recommendations for good value independent hotels? I don't have any significant points or status with SPG/Marriott/Hyatt/Accor.

2) Rio

This is where I'm very keen to have a good hotel experience. We will be here for 3 nights/4 days and looking at properties near Copacabana / Ipanema.

The Hilton Barra has good reviews but one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that it is not the place for first time tourists. Hilton Copacabana would be ideal, but I'm not going to spend 67000 pts per night to stay there. They seem to have zero award availability for standard awards all year round.

One property that caught my eye with excellent reviews is the Best Western Premier Arpoador. I have a bunch of BW points and Platinum status there from work travel so this would be a more exotic opportunity than I ever expected to burn them. Any feedback on this one? Any other independent properties that come recommended in those parts of town?

3) Foz do Iguacu

2 nights here with a mid-afternoon arrival and a mid-morning departure, so effectively just 1 full day to visit the falls and the park. I saw the Belmond Cataratas and if the price tag were not R$1200+ I'd be sorely tempted. However, there seem to be no major western chain properties other than a downtown Ibis, so looking for a well recommended independent option. There seem to be a number of spa/waterpark/resort type properties around the area which seem decent standard. The town doesn't seem very large or far from the falls, so location is less critical. This will be more of just somewhere to grab a bite and a shower as I expect we will be out at the park/falls all day.

4) Salvador (Bahia)

Completely open on suggestions for this one. We picked it as a destination since the general reviews of it as a tourist destination seemed to be extremely positive and it struck us as somewhere that had more to offer than just a beach resort. It was actually a toss up between here and Manaus but poor flight options and schedules to/from Manaus tipped the scales. We've planned 2 nights in Salvador, but totally open on where to stay and what to do. We'd rather be in the town than at the beach however. Suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Any other comments/suggestions/advice/whatever for Brazil in general is gratefully appreciated!