FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bag Weight BS in Denver
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2018, 11:16 am
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
May end up regretting getting involved here, but

Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
Me: Coming back from 2-week intl. trip. Triple-checks each check bag with scale. Both weigh 49.
SWA ticket agent: Nope, I have 50.5 & 51.
Me: My scale says otherwise. I 3x checked it.
Agent: Re-pack or pay $75 per bag.

**frantic and frustrated re-packing ensues**

Me: Takes one pr. jeans out of each bag, transfers to carryon. Bags reweigh at 47 and 48.4.
SWA agent: I have 49 and 49.5.
Me: ... that's where I was before. Check your scales.
Agent: *stares blankly* um, ok.
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
What frustrated me was the agent being a hard-nose over a magic pound that her scale had, then after my scale said I had reduced the bags by more than 1, her scale reads exactly what my scale read in the first place.
I can't figure out what it is you think this proves or why it is supposed to be revealing/confusing/frustrating. From the details you presented, clearly the agent's scale reports that things weigh ~1-1.5 lbs heavier than when weighed with your scale. So let's accept that as given.

Removing 1-1.5 lbs of stuff from each bag isn't going to change the differential between their scale and yours. Imagine you removed 5 pounds of stuff. Yours would say ~44-45 and theirs would say ~45-46.

The fact that their scale after repacking, showed the same as yours before repacking, is just a coincidence that the amount you removed was roughly the same as the differential between the two scales.