FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do I need to carry my passport with me in Germany?
Old May 14, 2018, 5:54 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
As someone who has lived in a number of countries - including the U.S. and Germany - I would say that while Americans are very America-focused, I've also come across a good number of Europeans who when coming to America expected American things to be like things back home in Spain, France or Germany and acted rather dismissively in a quite arrogant fashion about aspects of American life that are uniquely American. Especially among Germans there's a certain breed who find it barely tolerable if something is allowed in America that is 'verboten' in Germany and who will feel the need to lecture at length about why the German state of affairs is far more sensible.
Might well be. I came, having lived in some of the most relaxed states of the US, rarely come across something that is allowed in the US but "verboten" in Germany. Most of the time it appears to be the other way round (certainly with the exception of food safety, enhanced interrogation techniques and other US specialties). Not without any reason close to 1,00 percent of the US population has an address at a local jail, state or federal prison, privately operated prison facility, military facility, jail in Indian Country or US Immigration detention centre whereas the same number in Germany is about 0,08 percent. Apparently much more is verboten or much less such Verbote are observed in the US. But this is totally off-topic now