FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old May 13, 2018, 12:29 pm
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Just completed another stay here and I was disappointed at times.

Generally, you still get the resort vibe and the staff that really make the place run - porters, concierges, lounge staff, bellman, etc. - are still great.

The management has gotten extra stingy though. E.g. they had an amenity setup to be delivered, but then didnt claiming my room upgrade and subsequent change made it so they didn't have time to deliver the amenity to the new room. This is nonsensical. On top of that, they were passing out a note to each guest at check in stating there would be construction from 9a-8p daily.

Except they started the construction at 8a daily. I notified Service Express the first day and it continued, so I escalated it so someone would correct the document or correct the contractors!

The current construction is much worse than the website indicates. The website says they are renovating the lagoon side terrace; yes, there is work on that side plus the ccean side of the main building. Specifically, they cut down all the palm trees lining the triangle pools then used an awful jackhammer connected to a tractor-like vehicle to drill up the pools. Hence my annoyance with them starting early, as the noise was awful.

RBC rooms should be much more insulated from this. However they removed the dolphin structure from in front of the RBC and now it just says "westin CLUB" (this is the capitalization or lack thereof the hotel used)

Parking is still free and secure either in the garage or on the driveway to the RBC. Construction is moving super slow. When I asked a vacation club salesman when it was supposed to wrap, or what they were replacing the triangle pools with, the answer was "we don't know yet."

They have installed a Flowrider - a simulated wave surfing machine. I didn't partake but watched a couple try it...you can get a free hour of use of it with an instructor as part of the timeshare sell, as they advertise this in the elevators now.