FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Allocated first class seat on C/Y only flight
Old May 13, 2018, 3:36 am
Mailman7

Programs: BA silver
Allocated first class seat on C/Y only flight

On 12 May I paid for business class on BA461 MAD-LHR operated by a B777. On 9 May through “manage my booking” I saw first class seats had been released for business class passengers. I assumed this was a perk for silver and gold card holders. I selected 4K which was confirmed on my mobile boarding pass.

At the gate I was told that there had been a change of aircraft and there was no seat 4K. I was handed a pass for 14K. Had she turned she would have clearly seen a 777 through the large window.

On entering the aircraft 2 cabin crew were standing at the access to first. I showed my mobile pass and clearly said “4K” and they moved aside for me. 2 other passengers were seated in first class.
2 minutes later a member of the cabin crew asked to see my boarding pass. I showed the paper pass and the mobile pass and told her what had been incorrectly stated at the gate. I refused a polite request to move.
She returned shortly after and showed me print-out of the paper boarding pass. (Why? No idea.). I was again told I would have to move as there was no first class on the flight. I again politely but firmly refused as there were other passengers in the cabin. She left saying she would try and resolve the”issue”.
I spoke with one of the other passengers who confirmed she had not been asked to move, was not BA staff, but would not get involved.
The crew member returned a third time and invited me forward to meet the captain who said there had been an administrative error and I must move as there was no catering in first on this flight. The alternative was to be removed from the plane. I said I was happy to forgo food or drink and said the food was cr*p anyway and I wasn't prepared to change seats
The stewardess then told the captain I had previously been rude to her. This was untrue but I saw where this was going, conceded defeat and moved to 14K. I did not accept the food (it is has been cr*p since club Europe catering was improved last year). I did enjoy a few cans of Tiger.

Interestingly a number of economy passengers were seated in economy plus. Perhaps they were all BA gold card holders.