FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Old May 12, 2018, 11:07 am
Explore SE Asia

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goodtasting
RE: 2 player mode? Different *A selections for each person?
I've posted here previously to ask for advice to which the answer was Asiana, but I have a different question now:
In the case of a couple doing a RTW trip flying together, does it make sense for one person to select one Star Alliance carrier and the other person to select another?

SO (Singaporean) and I (US citizen from HNL) are doing a trip and I've selected Asiana as mine, and in the meantime, I've selected hers as United. I'm thinking she might be able to get United Silver (economy plus for both of us once she hits status?) and I could get Asiana Gold.

Does this make sense?

(1) What is your home airport? SIN; 1-2x a year flying to HNL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? <25k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? n/a
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good redemption rates
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Generally, within Asia; flights from SIN to TYO, ICN, HKG and also HNL
(7) Preferred Airlines Whichever is cheapest
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure
Asiana does allow family pooling of miles. I am not sure of the rules to qualify for family pooling of miles. Having miles split might make it more difficult to use those miles to travel together.

I recently joined the Asiana ff program. My understanding is that it is good for achieving and keeping status. Is it as good in earning miles and travel awards? Would ANA be better once you have achieved status from Asiana? I am asking you the very same questions I am asking myself.

PS Splitting the programs is interesting. You might check over in the United forum on how often you would get e+ seating flying Asian routes given silver status. Report back on your final solution and thought process.
​​​​