FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Old May 12, 2018, 9:45 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So - are properties keen that this generally is a semi-scam situation? Do they just not care since they are getting revenue? Is this as crazy a loophole as it seems?

I will likely need to book 3-4 "meetings" in H2 this year
Just because it's been a thread on FT for years does not mean that the average property has necessarily seen that much of it, especially "unnecessary" meetings.

And if they haven't reacted to it until now, chances are that they won't react to it until August (when the apparent change it terms will make it get used for unnecessary" meetings a lot less).

Plus all they have to do is price to make it less of a loophole. Yes, the title of thread from nearly a decade ago suggests $80 per meeting, but it's not easy to get it that low necessarily in all areas. That was just one example, but it was the example that gave the thread it's name.

I'm happy to get an online Reserve quote of $120 (for a 1-hour meeting), but only because I'm using it to try to lock in the once-in-a-lifetime chance to get LTPP in the new program, which can only be done in 2018. (I don't have 10 years at Platinum so I can't use the other avenue they just announced.) And a lot of other hotels in the area that had Reserve buttons were asking for even more.

I never bothered with this before this "end of 2018" deadline for LTPP appeared. I never had problems earning annual MR Plat through stays (plus help from credit cards), but I have a bigger gap to make up before the end of 2018 than I necessarily could do easily with just stays in 2018 alone.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 12, 2018 at 9:53 am