FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status
Old May 12, 2018, 7:12 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
Let me clarify, by 31-DEC-18 I probably will "just" achieve 600 nights and the required years to be LTP. I'm going to be 2 years short of the 10 year requirement. So since there is nothing "higher" for me to work towards beyond LTP, in major cities where I have choice, I will choose Hilton/Waldorf over Marriott and work towards lifetime status there.

Totally agree with you that the difference between LTP and LTPP isn't big. But given I spend about 120 to 200 nights a year at hotels, there is no "extra" loyalty incentive for me to choose Marriott. And yeah, I do "resent" the issue that just cuz I wasn't born early enough that I don't have any path to a tier that other road warriors have achieved, possibly with less annual spend than myself (all out of pocket since I run my own business). My firm probably generates 800 to 1000 nights a year cumulatively, I would like to be recognized equally to other customers who have put in similar loyalty.

Admittedly, Marriott could've screwed up the loyalty merger a lot more, so fundamentally I'm relieved, but on principle, I don't feel recognized for the loyalty I invested into. Yes also agree I will have no problem achieving LTPP on an annual basis. So I will likely do the minimum nights at Marriott, and on average 75 nights at Hilton/Waldorf
Wouldn't the same argument apply to the legacy SPG program in that, if the merger hadn't happened, once you had completed your ten years as Plat and achieved legacy SPG LTP, there would have been no higher lifetime status possible? Remember, SPG LTP is lifetime PlatMinus and it's always been the case that LTPs must do 50 nights for SNAs, 75 nights for Your24, and 100 nights for an Ambassador. Would you have left SPG as soon as you received SPG LTP two years from now because there's no way to get lifetime Plat50, lifetime Plat75, or lifetime Ambassador?

BTW, to say that your firm generates one thousand total hotel nights per year is nothing.