FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Old May 11, 2018, 5:22 pm
phltraveler

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Despite a lot of speculation it appears Marriott isn't making changes to Rewarding Events, at least as of August 1. I've reached to to a half-dozen contacts at both Marriott corporate sales and individual Marriott properties. Nobody knew anything until, finally, someone reached out to someone in corporate. Here what Marriott had to say:

"At this time no details have been released in regards to Rewarding Events besides what is available on Members.Marriott.com. Once corporate is ready to share this information all properties will be notified. Until then, no details have been or are being released. Rest assured support teams as well as properties will receive updates in the next couple of months as soon as the information is ready to be released. Unfortunately, this is not information that we know at this time."
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Doesn't this (from members.marriott.com) make it sound like there will be a new structure with a new "earning rate"?

Are there changes to SPG Pro and Rewarding Events?

Members of both programs will be able to earn points for meetings and events through the new Rewarding Events structure. SPG Pro will end in August. We will honor any existing meeting and event contracts on the books at the new earning rate. Starting in early August, you can book meetings and events across all brands (except for Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Design Hotels and Marriott Executive Apartments) and if you provide your membership number at time of signing, you are eligible to earn benefits under the new Rewarding Events construct including base earn and bonus points based on Elite level (if applicable).
Maybe Marriott does read FT, because I myself (among others!) pointed out that with the LT points requirement gone and the extra elite night / $3,000 spent on MR visa is likely to be eliminated (old MR visa has it, for now), that Rewarding Events became a stupidly easy way to buff up LT qualification requirements without limit (in the past, the points earn rate was a pretty big discouraging factor at 8pts/$ max as stays would earn $20 pts/$ and credit card nights/meeting nights would just drive up the average spend for your actual stays).

They talk about the "new earning rate" without mentioning what it is, nor mentioning nights. It reeks of PR spin. I suspect that they will probably increase the earn rate on meeting rooms to 5 points or maybe 10 points per dollar from the current three, but I think the night credit will disappear.