FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old May 11, 2018, 3:24 pm
phltraveler

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by kgdg
I have a similar question:
Thus far, I have:
SPG:
6 years PLATINUM (will soon be 7 in a couple of more weeks)
571+ nights

MARRIOTT:
2 years PLATINUM
383 lifetime nights, 9 nights so far this year (with 66 more to go to earn PLT this year)

Since I will be achieving PLT in the next couple of weeks in SPG, my plan was to then switch to Marriott and earn the remaining 66 nights through 12/31/2018 thereby making the 3rd year as PLT in Marriott.

Will they then count the 7 years from SPG and 3 years from Marriott as PLT = 10 years hence giving me grandfathered Lifetime Platinum Premier in the new program?

The verbiage is confusing, and you may be better off contacting Marriott individually for verification. So far as I read the new terms, the qualification terms are:
A) You qualify under existing terms for old MR status (250 + 1.2M points silver, 500 nights + 1.6M points Gold [new plat], 750 nights + 2.0M points Plat [new Plat Premier]).
B) You qualify under existing terms for old SPG status (250 nights + 5 years at gold for LTG, 500 nights + 10 years at plat for LTP) for equivalent ranks in new program.
C) You qualify under the new terms of combined activity at 750 nights + 10 years at Platinum for LTPP.

You are going for scenario C.

For the part of what qualifies for a year at Platinum:
Originally Posted by Marriott
HOW ARE YEARS AT TENURE CALCULATED FOR LEGACY MR AND RCR MEMBERS?
We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.
So as far as I read that, you're considered "Platinum" for the year if you hit 50 nights within that year (legacy MR Gold terms) or 50 nights/25 stays (legacy SPG terms). Thus, your 6 years SPG + 2 years MR plat map cleanly to 8 years of plat.

Now from this response, any year in which you hit the same level in both programs will be counted as a year each. Which is to say, if you hit 25 stays/50 nights at SPG in a year, and hit 50 nights in MR, each counts as a separate year, even if both happened in the same year (e.g. 2018). Thus, if you can hit both thresholds in 2018, your combined status should be LTPP in the combined program.

Again though: I'd recommend contacting Marriott CS for a paper trail before you go on any adventure to make the rest of the status up and spend a lot of money in the process.