FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC faces new competition from WestJet's new lie-flat 787 business class
Old May 11, 2018, 9:05 am
Stranger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, I was not commenting that AC's hardware and software are "superior" to WS.
I was commenting that WS had an excellent opportunity to introduce an alternative premium service to the North American air travel market starting from "square one", and leveraged on its previously well perceived economy class service, yet WS has failed miserably.
When WS ordered the new 7M8, they had every opportunity to create a premium cabin but they didn't.
I would agree that their plans are confusing when coming to the high end segment. Either they want to go head on and compete with AC, which the 787 configuration seems to indicate. Or they don't which the 7M8 config indicates. So-called "analysts" are pointing this out too.

AC has had a difficult time trying to be a full service and a low cost at the same time. Struggling for many years mainly at the high end. But they now seem to have gone somewhat in the right direction. Not clear to me that WS is ready to deal with a similar situation. With the 787 pointing in one direction, the 7M8 in the other: retaining their "equalitarian" small town Alberta roots. Mind you, they might have a sense that they cannot afford losing that image.

What happened with the change at the top yet no apparent change of strategy is also a bit puzzling.