FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do I need to carry my passport with me in Germany?
Old May 10, 2018, 8:07 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'm intrigued. The only foreign country I've been to in the past ten years that has required to see my passport is the USA - and regularly. They freak if you show them a Driving Licence (although it's in English) and they are forever asking for ID. But elsewhere I don't recall being asked for ID at all, other than checking in at hotels - and I'm not talking just EU but would include Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Hong Kong, Thailand, Myanmar, Canada and probably some others I've forgotten about.
Based on my humble experience deriving from travelling forwards and back for the last 30 years, there is a big difference how a US American expects to be treated oversees and compared to how foreigners are treated in the US. Coming from Nebraska or not, there appears to be the expectation that everything overseas works like in the US whereas in the US everybody expects your conduct as a foreigner has to be that of a US American