FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with trip needed (hotels, transportation)
Old May 10, 2018, 7:27 am
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Muerz
Do I need to purchase the ferry tickets ahead or can I do that upon arrival at the airport? What about my checked luggage? Do I need to retrieve it or will it be checked to the ferry boat?
Do it at the airport. The route is exclusive for arrival passengers. So it is not as busy as you think.

Checked baggage will be handled when you buy your ticket (you will need to provide your baggage tag for the ferry to get your baggage). Then the ferry personnel will put on the ferry.

Burning off points could also be an option (I still have lots of Marriott/Starwood points as well as Hyatt points) but in this case the only cheap points options would be in Sha Tin (Courtyard and Hyatt) but I've got no idea if that location is good or at least well accessible via Subway or Uber).
CY Sha Tin would be your better choice. However, its public transportation is not as good as HR Sha Tin, even both hotels are close to train stations.

(Additional transfer will be needed for CY Sha Tin, but not necessary for HR Sha Tin.)

By the way, I saw that Uber is available in HK but are they reliable there?
Uber is officially illegal in Hong Kong. While you will not be liable as a passenger, the reliability could be in question due to illegality.

But so far, everything is still operating illegally as usual.

It is all up to you.