FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old May 9, 2018, 2:00 pm
Definitas

Unhappy BA seem to be giving me the runaround

We had our flight from ORD-LHR cancelled in March. It was cancelled because the outbound flight LHR-ORD was cancelled due to bad weather. However, 2 out of the 3 BA flights didg operate to ORD and the last flight was “merged” with the middle flight (BA’s description). Pretty much all long haul flights operated on the day in question but BA are denying EU261 compensation due to weather. However, on the day in question BA didn’t notify me of cancellation despite being registered for email and SMS notifications and also having the IOS App. BA have admitted this. The only reason I found out the flight was cancelled is that BA in the US phoned my son who was on a separate booking on the same flight. BA automatically booked us in the same flight 24 hours later (and moved us from First I to CW). Our upgrade to first time as a confirmed upgrade for reasons I won’t go into here. We were not best pleased but, once I had got used t9 the idea I began to look at options. I realised that an earlier BA flight still had seats in economy and seats in economy and Club were available an hour after our original departure on a BA codeshare with AA. I tried to phone BA to ask why this had not been offered but nobody wanted to answer the phone either in the US or UK. If BA had booked us on either of the available flights ethere would not have been a delay (or we would have got in early). There were also Air Lingus flights to LHR and LGW. Nothing other than the booking 24 hours later was offered. Further investigation shows that BA told outgoing pax that the flight was merged due to shortage of de-icing equipment. After meaningless answers from the call centre I opened a Resolver case and sent BA screen shots showing that flights were available which would have prevented a delay and also pointed out that delays with ground equipment don’t count but now they have claimed twice that they didn’t receive my letters or screenshots and Resolver day they have been resent. The latest reply from BA is a standard receipt of communication and a different case number. Very frustrating! Can anyone please offer advice on how best to proceed. Incidentally,I was on a single Avios booking in CW (with upgrade to 1st) and my son was on the outbound leg of a return booked in the US in economy with wife and child. He also got the “exceptional “ weather brush off.

Last edited by Definitas; May 9, 2018 at 2:06 pm Reason: typing errors