FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairmont’s Sirru Fen Fushi opens in the Maldives
Old May 8, 2018, 4:32 pm
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Jeffuy
So, the Resort Manager Michiel Lugt spoke to us this morning and explained that the hotel was previously a non-fairmont hotel that opened in February. They recently just got the Fairmont name and are in the process of updating systems, processes, facilities to be Fairmont standard. He had kindly did the right thing to take care of my close to $500 overweight luggage charge on the flight to the island, and promise to accept the gift cards. He re-itterarted that FPC benefits and certificates will be honoured at the property. I will be going shortly to the Willow Stream spa to redeem my certificates. However, the fight with the property's management is not acceptable, we came here to relax and enjoy the Maldivian waters and beaches while enjoying the last of our FPC status and benefits but ended up spending hours just trying to use them.
Now that explains why none of us had ever heard of this place before this post came out. Normally, we see properties 'in development' for a number of years before. But, that conversion was very poorly done. Before they change the branding, they need to get all systems properly in place and staff properly trained. Not understanding anything about the loyalty program or even having the ability to process a chain-branded gift card is a pretty big miss.

I wonder if these bargain opening rates they are offering are done specifically because many of the facilities are still under construction. If the facilities are under construction and unavailable, charging full price would be ridiculous. On the other hand, enticing a big crowd of travelers to a newly opened hotel with low rates, and then having them see it in a state of disarray can cause a lot of bad perceptions. As much as it costs them each day they remain closed, I think they really should have stayed closed until they were well and truly ready.