FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old May 7, 2018, 3:47 pm
seawolf
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yurch10
I have the same "problem". I'm in J, wife in F. Weds flights coming up, assumed an F would open up as it was F4 for months. Now about two weeks out, it's F0!

Anyone ever seen this situation, and is there ever any "re-opening" of seats? Since the rest of these seats were booked so late, was hoping that maybe it's businessmen that might cancel/change closer in? Trying to be optimistic, I know...
It's hard to predict if/when other F passengers will cancel. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not. It could be business traveler as you are speculating or it could be other folks redeeming Z seats and they just beat you to it.

Friend and companion just flew 2Z seats today on 3PM JFK-HKG.
10 days ago, all JFK-HKG flights were F3Z0 or less.

5 days to departure, 3PM flight F4Z1 while other JFK-HKG flights were F2 or less. Grabbed 1Z on the 3PM while companion was J on JAL. They were travelling to SIN so it didn't matter as much they were connecting in different cities as both JL and CX arrived into SIN within 10 minutes of each other.

3 days to departure 10AM JFK-HKG F2Z1 while the 3PM was F1Z0. Placed companion onto 10AM flight while friend was on 3PM JFK-HKG; companion perfectly ok with being "stuck" in Pier F for 6 hours so that they can arrive in SIN together; we all know how horrible it would be to suffer thru the day bed, shower facilities, food options in Pier F. It didn't look they were going to travel together as F1 means no partner awards and both 10AM and 3PM were F1.

6 hours after placing companion on 10AM, the 3PM became went from F1 to F4. Dropped everything and called AA to move companion from 10AM to 3PM.

3PM was still F3Z2 4 hours to departure earlier today. All this time, the 1AM flight went from F3 to F0 and stayed F0.

The point is, that it can go both ways; stayed completed full or go from full to 3-4 Z seats being made available; thus it is not over until the fat lady sings.

Last edited by seawolf; May 7, 2018 at 6:39 pm