FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I hate business travelers.
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2018, 12:04 pm
NYTA

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
NYTA, while you are entitled to your opinion, it is only one person's viewpoint and not necessarily the 'right' one.

I no longer need to travel on business, all my travel is personal travel. Now I pay for my seat every time, in whatever class I fly in and guess what, my right to use an overhead bin is just the same as your right to do so. Or would you disagree with that? The overhead bin space is NOT there just for rollaboards, it is there for whatever a passenger wishes to put in it. It is sheer arrogance to try and suggest that your rollaboard should receive preferential treatment over anything I choose to put in an overhead bin.

You are exhibiting classic DYKWIA behaviour in thinking that somehow your needs are greater than someone else's needs. You have no more entitlement to use overhead space than that family of 4 going to Disneyland. When I travel, I check one bag and carry on only a briefcase size bag and perhaps a coat. If I choose to put my bag and coat in the overhead bin, I am as entitled to do so as you with your rollaboard. And while you are 'looking down' on those non-business travellers, I am 'looking down' on those business travellers like yourself who think they are entitled to more than I am. After all, you're just working class, I've moved beyond that into the leisure class.
I never said my needs were greater than anyone else's or that I look down on anyone, but the airlines have decided that by giving "priority boarding" to their "elite" customers, that those customers get first pick of what to put in the overhead bins - I choose to put my rollaboard there. This is in keeping with the airline rules for carry on luggage and neither you nor any of the posters here have any right to judge me for doing so. I would never suggest, if I was late for a flight and there was no room in the overhead, that an occasional leisure traveler take his/her stuff out of the overhead to accommodate me. The airlines have decided that their elite travelers get "priority" over the occasional leisure travelers and thus I have the right - given to me by the airline - to put my stuff there as I get on the plane first. This is a key factor for me in choosing to fly Star Alliance, vs. SkyTeam or OneWorld currently and that's exactly how the airline executives want it.

Oh and BTW - I own my own business so I'm paying for the tickets myself - both for me and my employees.