FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA 208 Food Poisoning
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2018, 12:01 pm
diamond club freeloader

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by DLBIZTRAVELER
Flew business class BA 208 MIA-LHR on Tu 24-April, MIA-LHR.
Unfortunately had salmon appetizer and turbot main course. Upon arrival in London, I began to feel ill, while visiting the BA lounge. Connected on BA to AMS. Was throwing up and sick on this leg.
Arrived in AMS, got to hotel, went directly to bed, still quite ill and had doctor house call - diagnosis - severe food poisoning. Only food I ate from midday 24-April on was BA food.
I am wondering if anyone else got sick, and how I can found out about that?
Seeking damages from BA - doctor visit, prescription drugs, and first 2 hotel nights that I missed vacation.
I'm sorry to hear that you became ill - but, as has been well rehearsed on this forum, making a link with BA food is almost impossible. 'Feeling ill and throwing up' sounds like viral gastroenteritis is a high probability. The time from exposure to symptom onset can be as little as 6 hours or as long as a few days. So before being certain that the cause is BA food, consider whether in the few days before developing symptoms you might have been exposed to any other potential sources of an agent such as norovirus. Examples might be other food sources (especially anything resembling a buffet, particularly a salad bar!) use of bathrooms others may also have used (e.g. hotel rooms, public facilities in airports) or even touched any surfaces ( e.g. door handles, armrest, seatbelt catch...) and subsequently handling your food / touching your face without having washed your hands in between.

It's a long list of possible exposures, and especially while travelling. So, possible sources are likely to be much more extensive than BA food. Food borne illness on aircraft are notoriously difficult to trace back, particularly since affected people usually disperse widely after a flight and tend not to report symptoms. However, if you wish to report symptoms to be part of a possible 'cohort' you could inform BA, Heathrow Airport, and the Environmental Health department that covers Heathrow.

Hopefully your symptoms will be short-lived and you'll be able to get on with life as normal in a day or so. Just don't hold your breath on the damages issue.