FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGA Traffic Nightmare: Redevelopment 2016–≈2020; New For-Hire Vehicle & Taxi Pickups
Old May 7, 2018, 11:27 am
themicah

Originally Posted by samm
What does everyone think about this? This is being framed as a permanent change (at least for the duration of the construction project, but likely forever, realistically)... How anyone could finish [Uber's] deck and still conclude relocating Uber to a distant remote shuttle lot is a fair (and sensible) outcome is totally beyond me.
It's not just Uber, it's all for-hire-vehicles other than yellow cabs. One of the unintended consequences of the (mostly good IMO) requirement in NYC that e-hail (Uber/Lyft/Juno/Via/etc.) drivers and cars be TLC licensed is that they aren't really distinguishable from traditional dispatched car services (many e-hail drivers actually do work for both traditional and e-hail services).

So while many other US airports have sent unlicensed e-hail drivers to a parking garage or other somewhat out-of-the-way location (which makes some sense, since most airports weren't designed with a place for those drivers to queue and for their pax to wait), at LGA Terminal B they've exiled ALL FHV vehicles to the remote location. And I think it's nuts that when I arrive at the terminal with mrsmicah and our three kids and a bunch of luggage, there is NO option for us to be picked up at the curb by a single vehicle that will take us home. But at least we won't have to stand outside in the rain waiting for our ride any more.